Friday, January 04, 2013

QUIS EST ISTE QUI VENIT

 Happy New Year, everyone! I recently re-read the classic M.R. James ghost story, "Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad." If you have not read this short story, just stop right now and read it!: Oh, Whistle, And I'll Come To You, My Lad

The ending is absolutely chilling. I remember seeing an illustration of the ghost when I was a child, long before I read the story. Well, I was inspired to take a bed sheet and a skull and try some creative photography:


 I always imagined the ghost in the story to have a face that was a bit more defined- perhaps feminine at first, but then the fabric would sink back, hollowing out the eyes like a skull. Or maybe it would look like a piece of diaphanous sculpture (the Veiled Vestal Virgin by Raffaelle Monti): 

 More from my series of photos can be found in my Photo Album, "Oh, Whistle."



4 comments:

Human Mollusk said...

I like these a lot, especially the first one. The lighting and pose are the most interesting in that one, imho.

Marcel Ruijters said...

Oof, that is really well done, Kurt! & best wishes.

crippaXXXalmqvist said...

yes, i really dig these photos, kurt..and also i think that this first one is my favorite.

alkbazz said...

me too, it's nice & fun idea!
i never thought of ghosts physical appearance (i mean for real) i always think of them as creepy sounds and creepy shadows